Jaben Community
November 26, 2014, 10:51:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: new contender in the heavy weight division?  (Read 19767 times)
david

« on: April 22, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »

i had my first encounter with customs about a year ago, during a search for the perfect IEM tip. even after rigorous experimentation with various tips, i was left largely unsatisfied. triflanges were uncomfortable, complys never did last long under my rough usage, and olives just didn't isolate enough for me.

i guess my frequent yet highly unproductive trips down to that little headphone shop made uncle feel pity for me (either that or i just irked him by asking so many questions), because one day he took me aside and asked me to consider making either custom tips or full customs, these would solve my problem once and for all. not wanting to make an impulse purchase, which i am fond of doing, i went home and visited my good friend google, and so took the first steps into the exclusive world of customs. my subsequent trips down to jaben no longer consisted of purchasing and trying out of iem tips, but the enquiring of prices and opinions of different customs.

however, as with many other people, my opinion of IEMs at that point was the more the merrier, the more drivers they had, the better they'd sound, and as such, my first pair of customs were not the dual driver livewires. i do, however, remember being very impressed with the demo unit of the livewires, and unable to shake off that nigging itch, i finally succumbed to temptation and packaged an order for the livewires. upon arrival, i finally learnt the lesson "quality, not quantity". while lacking in one driver compared to the other IEMs that i own, it sure didn't lack in the sound department! but enough about them. something more amazing has come along.

if price and performance ratio is your cup of tea, carry on reading. in the audio world, there is an unspoken rule of thumb, the increase in price has an inverse relationship with the increase in performance, but every once in a while, one does stumble on that little gem that runs amock, and laughs in the face of such rules. such is the triple driver custom i am speaking of, something i  christened, upon first listen, as the triple threat.

as a closet basshead as well as a jazz fan, having deep, clear extended bass and a lush, rich mid range is a must, and the triple threat does not fail to deliver on my criteria. bass is impactful with nice depth and good resolution, without muddying out the mids, ensuring that bass instruments sound clear and precise, never straying from where they're meant to be. the midrange is smoothly textured, and generous in both detail and clarity, a killer combination for jazz and vocals, in my opinion.
the highs are sweet and natural, and for lack of a better description, faithfully reproduced. they sparkle when they need to, and while not overly prominent, they hold their ground and are in no way overwhelmed.
as a whole, these are detailed IEMs and they never fail to remind you about this constantly as you enjoy your music. instruments are clearly seperated and defined.

why did i name it the triple threat? the first two threats would definitely be it's price/performance ratio, and sound quality. the third threat however, is the build quality. solidly built and very well manufactured, it looks as though it can weather some abuse, especially from a careless person, such as yours truly. however, as with all other audio equipment, dropping, knocking, stepping on, throwing etc, etc, is not encouraged.

as with all other customs, these promise consistency in sound and comfort, with a difference, it does it all at a very affordable price! top range performance that does not cost top dollar, a rarity indeed.

and before anyone asks for a comparison between the various iems or customs i have, i must state beforehand that i, for one, have never believed in comparing different audio equipment out of respect for their differing sound signatures and everyone's unique sonic preferences
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:35:33 AM by david » Logged

pravinuss

extrovist.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »

is it the victim? Smiley

iPhone 4 - IE8/Atrios
MacBook - MavAudioD1 - AKG 701/SRH 440/Enyo-ed ES7
klatzz

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »

pictures and cost?

mind pm me?

Portable Rig: Iphone 3GS 32Gb-> JH16 / PortaPros / UM2 / Westone 3
Home Rig: Laptop -> Go Vibe DAC -> ESI nEar04
Sold: ES3X, RSA P51 Mustang, Ordnance DAC, ATH-ES7, ATH-ESW9, ESW10, Ipod 5.5G, MeiZu M6 4Gb

YNWA..
tsaget

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »

Eh? A new IEM arriving?

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
julius

Black Symphony

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »

I am wondering too?   Shocked

Portable:NoisePod>JenaLabs w/SCSag Silver LOD & RCA>ALO V Caps>iQube>UM TF10Pro Custom

Home:Pioneer PD-204>HarmanKardon AVR25II/Pioneer VSA-D802S>Acoustic Research M2 Holographic Imaging Speaker

Used to Own
Colourfly C4/RSA SR-71A/GS Voyager/LW3/SF5Pro/HD595/ALO Jumbo Cryo-X Silver LOD/Valgri
david

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:34:33 PM »

Eh? A new IEM arriving?
Grin Grin Grin

chesterqw

extremely irritated reaper

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »

david should have the title of poison king!

too lazy to post rig :/
www.chesterqw.blogspot.com
poor multi-hobby guy.
milkyshake

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:16:18 PM »

arrrggghhhh..... suspense...... I'm keeping watch here on this thread for updates!!

Source: iPod Video 80Gb, Cowon D2
Amp:  Mini^3 Amp (LM4562 Opamp), iQube, RSA Mustang
Iem: Ken-DIYed silver cable TF10, um3x
kevinsit

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »

I'm highly suspecting it is the Victim... Shocked
tsaget

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »

I'm highly suspecting it is the Victim... Shocked

I think Crossroads victim is already out already. http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=2159.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:25:01 PM by tsaget » Logged

DeathAdder

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »

I HATE YOU DAVID!

Good hype post by the way  Tongue.

david

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

I HATE YOU DAVID!

Grin Grin

tsaget

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

I HATE YOU DAVID!

Grin Grin

Omg, can't wait to know what is it Grin Grin...

julius

Black Symphony

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »

I HATE YOU DAVID!

Grin Grin

It must be something special again!?  Grin

Portable:NoisePod>JenaLabs w/SCSag Silver LOD & RCA>ALO V Caps>iQube>UM TF10Pro Custom

Home:Pioneer PD-204>HarmanKardon AVR25II/Pioneer VSA-D802S>Acoustic Research M2 Holographic Imaging Speaker

Used to Own
Colourfly C4/RSA SR-71A/GS Voyager/LW3/SF5Pro/HD595/ALO Jumbo Cryo-X Silver LOD/Valgri
tsaget

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

I HATE YOU DAVID!

Grin Grin

It must be something special again!?  Grin

Hmmm.... Might be a custom?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: