Jaben Community
November 24, 2014, 11:52:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: LW and portable amp....  (Read 7994 times)
hobbit6003

« on: April 21, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »

Hi,

While I'm waiting for my LW to arrive, I thought I'd like to find out if anyone of you here has paired it with any portable amp? Or is there a need to?

I'm actually wondering if any of such amp can help improve upon its sound staging and clarity/sound separation.

For those who did pair it with a portable amp, may I ask which one, and how has the sound changed thereafter?
ferrar1

Team AKG

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »

I'm using it with the Hornet.

Originally the LW sound very laidback but with the Hornet, it sounds slightly more agressive, slightly bass-ier.

hobbit6003

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »

When it becomes bassier, does it reach a point that it compromises the clarity of the sound? How's the mids and the highs with the hornet?

Pardon me, what's the difference between the hornets and the predators?

ferrar1

Team AKG

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »

Tomahawk = Amp

Hornet = Amp with low, medium, high gain switches to drive higher impedance headphones/IEMs

Predator = Amp + DAC function for PC/laptop

And no, tomahawk and hornet gives really good clear sound with respectable soundstage.

hobbit6003

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »

So, the sound signatures betw. the 3 are almost similar?
aloy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »

since they are all from RSA, they do have a similar sound signature. however, in terms of quality, the tomahawk and hornet are almost on par with the predator to be better than the both of them.
aaron-xp

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

I'd suggest you look at other amps as well, and not only that of the RSA product line. I love the Govibe petite. It's fairly affordable (compared to the RSA line), and sounds great as well. And best of all, it's tiny.

Burger

Smooth Criminal

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »

I'd suggest you look at other amps as well, and not only that of the RSA product line. I love the Govibe petite. It's fairly affordable (compared to the RSA line), and sounds great as well. And best of all, it's tiny.

I second that, I feel that RSAs are overpriced...

aloy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »

yup. RSA amps tend to be a bit overpriced to many, but i would say that the money goes to the build quality and brand name of the amp. the build quality is really good. so it's less performance to price ratio. afterall, when you venture further, almost any other higher end products you buy for audio, the diminishing returns always exists.

there're many amps for you to start out with which will give great sound too. the govibe petite is a superb amp for it's price, and also, check out the other amps like the ibasso amps, etc etc. try them out. some can really surprise you and are pretty affordable.

another option is that you could save up and wait. jaben always has new stuff every now and then, and you may just happen to get something you love when jaben stocks up some mystery amp again. Grin
ferrar1

Team AKG

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »

It would be great if LW users can list what amp they are using and how they feel change the sound of LW to help this chap make his mind on what he likes. Rather than going off topic Smiley

I'm sure i'm not the only user of the fabulous LW.

hobbit6003

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »

Actually,at this point in time, price isn't my consideration and I'm quite open to any price, provided that they are not exhorbitant, as in going into the thousands...Smiley

Of course, if the amp is truly value for money, I'll definitely consider it. However, the most important thing is still how the amp can compliment te LW to provide me with the kind of sound that I prefer...Smiley

Right now, I'm using the Crossroads x3i and amp, and I'm actually quite happy with the combo, given the price that they command. I love the x3i for its punchy bass, but would somtimes wish that the bass are less intrusive and muddling up the mids and highs. I thought that the Crossroads amp complement the x3i quite well, giving the mids and highs a little boost, while making the bass a little less intrusive. Overall, I love the sound signature coming from them.

With the LW, I hope to retain the 80% of the punch bass from the x3i combo now, and at the same time, gives a better soundstage with much better separation and clarity to the music I listen to.

That's why I'm just wonderig if the LW can do the job on its own, or does any amps out there can help augment its sound signature but does not drastically change it?

Anyone with any other amp combo? Smiley
Tubeman

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:41:43 AM »

Livewires are quite revealing iems.They will sound different with different amps. Different amps will present sound to you in different ways. You may want to settle on the type of sound presentation first (ie. laid back or in the face - how far the sound staging is); then move on to the type of sound (eg. warm, neutral or in between); and detail of the presentation (ie. the emotions you want to extract out of, for example, the voice or instruments). These are some of the basic considerations to start off. However, you may prioritise them inaccordance with your preference. The more requirements, the deeper into your pocket you may have to dig.

Your best bet is to try. Trust ONLY your OWN ears and not your eyes!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:43:57 PM by Tubeman » Logged

Valgrind products with ipod, iqube livewires for portable rig. Stax Omega 2, Lambda Nova Signature, Stax SRM 717, T1s, patiently awaiting arrival of Blue Hawaii SE.
Home - Audionote Stage 5
imademymark

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

try these

1. predator/ pico
2. headamp ae2
3. portaphile
4. millet (for this you probably need some sort of impudence load, but it sounds so so good)
5. go vibes

(the millet should probably be 1. if not for the almost excessive noise floor)

and if money's no object, the lisa III, which is the best with most things by quite a bit.
aloy

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »

for cheaper alternatives, i think i'll recommend govibe petite. it's good value for money and it's goes pretty well with the livewires. it boosts the impact of the bass pretty well, which i feel may be a tad bit lacking in the livewires.

mseed was also an interesting amp to pair it with, but sadly, there's no stock of it.

not too sure about ibasso amps but i heard it's pretty good. the minibox amps too.
hobbit6003

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »

THanks guys for the loads of suggestions! Smiley

Yeah, I guess the best way to get the perfect combo is to trust my own pair of ears, but the suggestions here will certainly give me some idea too...

Btw, what is impudence load and how do I increase it? 

My kind off sound signature will be one that is a little warm and a presence of a taut, punchy but not excessively intrusive bass. I know that LW is very good with the mids and highs, and thus am looking for that one amp that can help augment its bass.

Guess I'll have to wait till my LW arrives, but in the meantime, keep those suggestions coming! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: