Jaben Community
October 24, 2014, 11:08:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: LW and portable amp....  (Read 7929 times)
Tubeman

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

What others deem as warm may not be so for you. Your best bet is to listen it for yourself without outside influence.

Valgrind products with ipod, iqube livewires for portable rig. Stax Omega 2, Lambda Nova Signature, Stax SRM 717, T1s, patiently awaiting arrival of Blue Hawaii SE.
Home - Audionote Stage 5
jeremy

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

i find RSA amps are absolutely quiet with LW.  no hum, no hiss.

anyone tried other brands which give the above results?

AKG K701, Audio-Technica D1000 + M50, Beyer DT440 + 531 + 831 + 770pro + 880 + 990, Livewires, Sennheiser HD600, Sony CD900ST, Denon D2000, Alessandro MS-1 Improved, Future Sonics Ear Monitors, Westone ES2, UE11

Harman AVR-145, Higher Fidelity HA-01, iBasso P1 + T1, Navigator HPA-900, RSA Hornet
Darknights

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »

well, I nearly got the tomahawks while I did my ear impressions. However, since I tested it with my UM1 and found no difference, decided to get it only after I get the LWs. Maybe it's just the iPod um1 can't make any differences out of it. Will definitely try it out with lw when I get them
Tubeman

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »

well, I nearly got the tomahawks while I did my ear impressions. However, since I tested it with my UM1 and found no difference, decided to get it only after I get the LWs. Maybe it's just the iPod um1 can't make any differences out of it. Will definitely try it out with lw when I get them
Do read the threads a. Did the pico sound impress you? b. The predator? under Amplifier:..... in this forum. Following the thread will give you some information on both these amps.

Valgrind products with ipod, iqube livewires for portable rig. Stax Omega 2, Lambda Nova Signature, Stax SRM 717, T1s, patiently awaiting arrival of Blue Hawaii SE.
Home - Audionote Stage 5
Darknights

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:59 AM »

Wow.. after reading through those threads you referred me to... those look dangerously pricey....
Tubeman

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »

Actually,at this point in time, price isn't my consideration and I'm quite open to any price, provided that they are not exhorbitant, as in going into the thousands...Smiley

Of course, if the amp is truly value for money, I'll definitely consider it. However, the most important thing is still how the amp can compliment te LW to provide me with the kind of sound that I prefer...Smiley

Right now, I'm using the Crossroads x3i and amp, and I'm actually quite happy with the combo, given the price that they command. I love the x3i for its punchy bass, but would somtimes wish that the bass are less intrusive and muddling up the mids and highs. I thought that the Crossroads amp complement the x3i quite well, giving the mids and highs a little boost, while making the bass a little less intrusive. Overall, I love the sound signature coming from them.

With the LW, I hope to retain the 80% of the punch bass from the x3i combo now, and at the same time, gives a better soundstage with much better separation and clarity to the music I listen to.

That's why I'm just wonderig if the LW can do the job on its own, or does any amps out there can help augment its sound signature but does not drastically change it?

Anyone with any other amp combo? Smiley
I thought predator and pico would have been very much in your price range. From what you have described of your sound preference, the pico signature may very well suit you.... But, But,....... go try a fully burned in predator (ie. 1000 hours) as well. You may like it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:21:58 AM by Tubeman » Logged

Home - Audionote Stage 5
rollypolly

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »

I held out for a LONG LONG time before finally buying an amp recently for my iPod and Livewires. And after trying many amps, these are my PERSONAL opinions on the amps. Some might beg to differ with my opinions but hey, that's YOUR opinion so there's no right and wrong. Its just what you prefer and what you don't prefer.

I've auditioned the iQube, the Predator, the Pico, the Go-Vibe Magnum, the Tomahawk, the AE-2, the Voyager, the Headsix, the Boa, and the mSeed Spirit (the original one which is discontinued) and the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit (sold by Jaben now).

If MONEY wasn't an issue, I'd love to have the following amps (from most wanted to least wanted)

1. iQube
2. Predator
3. mSeed Spirit (original)
4. Go-Vibe Magnum
5. Headsix
6. Voyager
7. Pico
8. AE-2
9. Boa
10. Crossroads/mSeed Spirit

The iQube was the first amp i've ever tried and i must say that i was very impressed with it, and was even more impressed with it, after having tried all the other amps.

The Voyager's a good amp and the vocals are so sweet! But they're too forward for me, makes the instruments sound too laidback. But if you're a vocals person, this is the amp to get.

I wasn't too impressed with the Pico and AE-2 (hence i mentioned that some might beg to differ with my ranking). They sounded very transparent, but too transparent perhaps. The music wasn't exciting through these amps, even though i must say the the build of these amps are AMAZING.

I personally bought the original mSeed Spirit amp as i got it at an extremely good deal in very good condition and the music got really exciting through this amp. Tracks i've always been listening to suddenly jump up and come alive again with this amp. It is a little hard to find secondhand (its discontinued) though. In comparison with the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit amp that Jaben is currently selling, the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit comes across as more analytical and cold(not as musical and exciting as the original Spirit amp), and the volume knob seems like its going to fall off anytime.

Hope that helps with your choice! Its hard to go back to listening to the iPod without an amp now!
milkyshake

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »

I held out for a LONG LONG time before finally buying an amp recently for my iPod and Livewires. And after trying many amps, these are my PERSONAL opinions on the amps. Some might beg to differ with my opinions but hey, that's YOUR opinion so there's no right and wrong. Its just what you prefer and what you don't prefer.

I've auditioned the iQube, the Predator, the Pico, the Go-Vibe Magnum, the Tomahawk, the AE-2, the Voyager, the Headsix, the Boa, and the mSeed Spirit (the original one which is discontinued) and the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit (sold by Jaben now).

If MONEY wasn't an issue, I'd love to have the following amps (from most wanted to least wanted)

1. iQube
2. Predator
4. Go-Vibe Magnum
5. Headsix
6. Voyager
7. Pico
8. AE-2
9. Boa

The iQube was the first amp i've ever tried and i must say that i was very impressed with it, and was even more impressed with it, after having tried all the other amps.

The Voyager's a good amp and the vocals are so sweet! But they're too forward for me, makes the instruments sound too laidback. But if you're a vocals person, this is the amp to get.

I wasn't too impressed with the Pico and AE-2 (hence i mentioned that some might beg to differ with my ranking). They sounded very transparent, but too transparent perhaps. The music wasn't exciting through these amps, even though i must say the the build of these amps are AMAZING.

I personally bought the original mSeed Spirit amp as i got it at an extremely good deal in very good condition and the music got really exciting through this amp. Tracks i've always been listening to suddenly jump up and come alive again with this amp. It is a little hard to find secondhand (its discontinued) though. In comparison with the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit amp that Jaben is currently selling, the Crossroads/mSeed Spirit comes across as more analytical and cold(not as musical and exciting as the original Spirit amp), and the volume knob seems like its going to fall off anytime.

Hope that helps with your choice! Its hard to go back to listening to the iPod without an amp now!

maybe you wanna give mini^3 a try too since they've gotten quite A bit of good reviews..

Source: iPod Video 80Gb, Cowon D2
Amp:  Mini^3 Amp (LM4562 Opamp), iQube, RSA Mustang
Iem: Ken-DIYed silver cable TF10, um3x
Tubeman

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46:40 PM »

1. iQube
2. Predator
4. Go-Vibe Magnum
5. Headsix
6. Voyager
7. Pico
8. AE-2
9. Boa

Music is very personal. In the same way you listen to music, I similarly look for balanced sound and rythm as well. In addition, I also look to ensure that louder instruments and vocals do not overshadow other instruments. This is unfortunate, as systems that are able to achieve this appears to come at a bigger price tags.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:51:33 PM by Tubeman » Logged

Home - Audionote Stage 5
jeremy

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »

1. iQube
2. Predator
4. Go-Vibe Magnum
5. Headsix
6. Voyager
7. Pico
8. AE-2
9. Boa

how many these amps hum with the LW?

AKG K701, Audio-Technica D1000 + M50, Beyer DT440 + 531 + 831 + 770pro + 880 + 990, Livewires, Sennheiser HD600, Sony CD900ST, Denon D2000, Alessandro MS-1 Improved, Future Sonics Ear Monitors, Westone ES2, UE11

Harman AVR-145, Higher Fidelity HA-01, iBasso P1 + T1, Navigator HPA-900, RSA Hornet
tsaget

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 08:29:15 PM »

Erm sorry to ask but does the ordnance .22 amp or the Fiio E5 amp go well with the livewires despite their cheap prices? Smiley

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
XiaXueYi

Noobcake Audiophile Turned SNSD Fan

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »

Anyone else with a LW - Voyager that can share their thoughts?

I've a pretty high opinion towards the Voyager...

Portable: "Silverfone" diyMod 5G 30GB(Black) | "Cottonfone" TWCu LOD w/ Elna Silmic II caps | RSA Emmeline "The Hornet" | Ultrasone HFI-780 | ATH A700 | JH Audio JH5
dennis28288

little cousin with DT880s

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »

haha, i've been an owner of a voyager for some time now... but my LW are still on the way. Although the voyager is a great amp, it have doubts that it will pair well with the LW. From reviews i read, LW tend to be on the brighter side. The voyager IMO brings out the clarity of the highs while giving an extremely deep bass boost. Although it may sound a little artificial, but i like the way it pairs with my er4s. IMO, i think the LW needs something more musical, colourful and perhaps alittle more natural than the voyager. I would recommend the pico or xxs.

current most used rig: livewire-dual>corda XXS>diyed scag/twcu cable>ipod classic 80g
other cans: er4s, dt880, hd600(twcu recabled)
other amps:asgard, edge
dac: govibe dac
previously owned: govibe petite, RSA Tomahawk, pk2, pk3, mylar x3, mylar xb, mylar x3i, sm3
kiynoj

Avid Ayon Guru Club

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 06:08:21 PM »

tried LW3 with voyager, RSA predator and iQube.

don't really like the voyager. the bass boost is way too much...somehow to me, it overwhelms the mids.

For iQube and Predator, I like their synergies. Wide soundstage and neutral presentation. U can the bass decays and mids become 'lusher'
more highs wise, not much of comments. Still looking for the sparkling treble. Predator is fast as mentioned.

just my 2 cents worth 

Source: Avid Diva II SP with SME 309 + Dynavector 20xL; M2Tech Young DAC + Teddy Pardo PSU
Future Phono: Avid Pulsus (ETA???)
Amplifier: Ayon Orion II
Future Speakers: Gradient Helsinki 1.5 (ETA???)
Tweaks: RR-77 + Kingrex SLAP PSU
XiaXueYi

Noobcake Audiophile Turned SNSD Fan

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »

Aw snap.  Sad

Well I'm not getting any amp soon...maybe when I get my LW3's and the moolah for my future amp I will go down to Jaben for recommendations and tryouts...

I'm a sucker for the Voyager's superb sound though. Hope when I pair them up there'll be some magic for me...

Portable: "Silverfone" diyMod 5G 30GB(Black) | "Cottonfone" TWCu LOD w/ Elna Silmic II caps | RSA Emmeline "The Hornet" | Ultrasone HFI-780 | ATH A700 | JH Audio JH5
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: