Jaben Community
September 22, 2014, 01:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UE11 Custom, UE5 Custom... How good are they... what if you chose the wrong one?  (Read 11661 times)
trickywombat

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »

With the right choice of amps, the UE11s can be more balanced, though I'd never describe ANY UE product as balanced Wink

Agreed.  UE is not a response curve-focused company like Etymotic, they're more sound signature focused, so do not expect the most neutral sound from UE.  Here's an extract from this article about UE:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/audiovideo/2686/ultimate-ears-ue-11-pro-in-ear-monitors.html
Paul Manfrini, UE's director of product development...defends the notion that his is not an engineering-driven firm. "We don't start our designs with a curve in mind," he says. "We start by having a sound we want to achieve. A lot of it is trial and error, and we keep trying till we get what we want."

CEntrance DACport, iMod 4G 60GB, iPod Classic 160GB, iRiver IHP120,
iQube, iBasso D1, Head-Direct EF-1, Nuforce uDAC
UE 11 Pro, UE TF10vi, Livewires, Atrio M8, ATH [ESW10JPN, EW9], Denon D5000, B&W P5
Darkkopi

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

hm..looks like i better not try them super lethal poison....

you'll regret not trying it  Tongue Tongue

DoggieHowser

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »

Agreed.  UE is not a response curve-focused company like Etymotic, they're more sound signature focused, so do not expect the most neutral sound from UE.  Here's an extract from this article about UE:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/audiovideo/2686/ultimate-ears-ue-11-pro-in-ear-monitors.html
Paul Manfrini, UE's director of product development...defends the notion that his is not an engineering-driven firm. "We don't start our designs with a curve in mind," he says. "We start by having a sound we want to achieve. A lot of it is trial and error, and we keep trying till we get what we want."

Exactly my point about the UE10s Wink

OnTheRoad:ZuneHD,iPad/uDAC,UE11
Bedside:SmythA8/LISAIIIXP/HD800
Room:
BC CD2/DAC3.5VB/VBS
ThorensTD125LB,Jelco750D,Denon103R,BC Phono3
ProjectRPM10.1,10ccEvo/SumikoBlackbird/RSAF117A
BC Pre3,REF1000M, Thiel CS3.7
Silversmith Silver AES/XLR/XLR/RCA/speaker
DoggieHowser

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »

I tried out the UE11 custom demo a few days ago...

And it made me a sad man as it totally trounced my UM2 and K240S. Initially I was taken aback by how deep and warm it was, a little overpowering really. But when I switched back to the UM2 and K240S, they sounded flat, lifeless, unexciting. The warmth, the soundstaging, the detail... now how am I supposed to save up for these?

Sadly this is going to be your biggest poison Smiley

It is veryvery hard for me to go back to tf10p and my SuperFREQs. I did think about bringing the SFs when I travel (less heartpain) but I couldn't get used to them

OnTheRoad:ZuneHD,iPad/uDAC,UE11
Bedside:SmythA8/LISAIIIXP/HD800
Room:
BC CD2/DAC3.5VB/VBS
ThorensTD125LB,Jelco750D,Denon103R,BC Phono3
ProjectRPM10.1,10ccEvo/SumikoBlackbird/RSAF117A
BC Pre3,REF1000M, Thiel CS3.7
Silversmith Silver AES/XLR/XLR/RCA/speaker
trickywombat

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »

I But when I switched back to the UM2 and K240S, they sounded flat, lifeless, unexciting. The warmth, the soundstaging, the detail... now how am I supposed to save up for these?

Before you spend your all your savings:

As DoggieHowser and I have mentioned, UE's have a very distinct sound signature and coloration.  They don't design their earphones around a flat, neutral curve.  There's more to neutrality than a flat frequency response curve, which doesn't show transient response, harmonics, etc. 

Therefore, when you get a UE 10/11, you are hearing music they way the UE engineers want to hear it, unlike some other companies that may strive for the most neutral presentation possible.  All the detail and nuance in music is there, it's just tuned and colored to the satisfaction of the UE engineers.  This may matter for some genres of music than others, to some people more than others.

As such, make sure you want to hear music the same way as the UE engineers for as long as you own the customs.  There are other (cheaper) customs that have a more neutral presentation.  Go to a few live concerts (especially jazz and classical), and then see if you like the difference in presentation.  If you do, then great - spending your savings will be worth it.

In another thread, Uncle Wilson talked about the importance of realistic expectations with customs.  UE-11 is the end of the IEM road because it's the best current technology has to offer, not because it is the only and ultimate solution for everybody in every situation.

While I think the UE 11 is worth the money (because nothing else sounds like it), it is still quite a bit of money, so you want to be very sure you know what you're getting.  Don't be sucked in by the initial impressive presentation.  Be sure that that's the presentation you are willing to live with for a while (until the UE 12 comes out?).  When you are sure, the heartache of parting with that much money will be alleviated.

CEntrance DACport, iMod 4G 60GB, iPod Classic 160GB, iRiver IHP120,
iQube, iBasso D1, Head-Direct EF-1, Nuforce uDAC
UE 11 Pro, UE TF10vi, Livewires, Atrio M8, ATH [ESW10JPN, EW9], Denon D5000, B&W P5
ralfale

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

Stick to your belief ... "must control"  Grin

Source: Ipod Nano 16GB
Interconnect: Ultimate Link Silver Master-i
Amp: RSA Predator
Earphone: Westone 3
kchew

Ooh, tubes...

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

Before you spend your all your savings:...

Don't worry, I'm not going to splurge all my money on this at the moment. The demo simply gave me a taste of what top-end IEMs are capable, and for now the price is simply too high. Even if I save $100 a month, it'll take almost 2 years to get them. And who knows what wonders could come up in the meantime? And at that price, I'll definitely have to conduct an extensive audition to make sure that it suits everything I listen to.

There's no doubting it's coloured in its presentation, and I can see why some people are overwhelmed by the bass. But it's just too darn fun, there's so much energy and emotion that it makes me want to get up and dance. At the very least, I can see what the fuss is all about over these uber IEMS.

HD800 | AD2000 | K240DF | K240 Sextett MP | K240 Studio | Roxanne
Woo Audio WA22 | O2+ODAC | Travagans White
Cambridge Audio 840C | Wavelength Wavelink HS | AK120
crazyjack

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »

hey guys, roughly how mcuh does UE11 cost? hehe!!
kchew

Ooh, tubes...

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »

hey guys, roughly how mcuh does UE11 cost? hehe!!

...Even if I save $100 a month, it'll take almost 2 years to get them.

HD800 | AD2000 | K240DF | K240 Sextett MP | K240 Studio | Roxanne
Woo Audio WA22 | O2+ODAC | Travagans White
Cambridge Audio 840C | Wavelength Wavelink HS | AK120
larrytok

:o

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »

Poisonous stuff. either of those 2 will shock u after u demo.

including the price Cheesy

good stuff doesn't come cheap haha.

Full portable rig: black 80gb 5.5G ipod -> ALO Imod X Silver LOD -> Headamp PICO #405 -> UE TF10.pro (flex/complys)
Jogging rig: 32GB iphone 3GS -> UE TF10.pro
havent touched audio for sometime Tongue
M9|50mm Noctilux e58|35mm summilux pre-asph germany|21mm Elmarit pre-asph E60
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: