Jaben Community
October 25, 2014, 11:46:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ACS T1  (Read 17104 times)
Roady

« on: October 14, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »

I've just switched from an Ultimate Ears UE11pro to an ACS T1 and the decision was made at a spur of the moment. Impulsive? Yes. Regret? No! All opinions are solely mine and biased.

ACS website: www.hearingprotection.co.uk

-First company to come out with full silicon customs, unlike other brands like Westone, UE, Livewires, etc which are hard acrylic. Silicon is generally more comfortable to wear and in term of isolation, isolates better due to its material over acrylic. They are also the company that taught sensaphonics how to make silicon customs.

-Uses Kevlar-reinforced cable, which are more durable and yet flexible and comfortable to wear around. Unlike companies like Westone and UE, the cables are not detachable and directly soldered onto the drivers for a good reason – better contact, therefore better signal.

-2 years warranty

-Local ACS distributor – Stereo (Causeway point)

Equipment used –

-IPod classic 160GB, Imod and Creative Zen vision w (tracks in lossless or WAV)
-Iqube and Predator
-Ultimate Link “new prototype” (on loan), ALO super cotton and Qables silvercab pro, Ultimate Link Silver Master
-ALO Vcaps and Valgrind sonicaps (on loan)

ACS T1 review

The ACS T1 exudes greater control in mid and upper bass while retaining its deep bass quality. Every dimension of the bass region is clearly more defined with no problem in sounding tuneful yet forceful, delicate, detailed and never lumpy or fat.

For instance, UE11pro can present double bass really well but when it comes to cello and bass guitar, the ACS T1 lets you hear the finesse of each bass note and its harmonics without sounding lost amidst the overwhelming low bass resonance.

The UE11pro can sound a tad overwhelming in this region albeit with slam and punch much desired for bass heavy music but can be a slight hindrance with classical or orchestral music as certain finesse of instruments like flutes, violins and the likes may sound masked.

Anyone who claims that you cannot achieve a soundstage in an IEM should listen to the T1. Yes, capable of producing sonic foreground and background, channel separation and are characterized by a very decent, handling of frontal imaging. At times when I close my eyes, I could feel I was listening to my set of Wilson speakers in my hall when I’m actually sitting in my office at work. No doubt UE11pro is an excellent set of IEM but when it comes to soundstage, it is still pretty much “in my head”.

T1’s treble is accurate, natural and clean, with precise highest notes, beautifully delineated. I personally feel that this treble extension and lack of colourations as ACS' forte. Instead of rolling it off and risk a darker sound like the 11pro, the T1 manages to scale through the highs in a smooth and elegant manner which leaves nothing to desire and avoid any intolerable sibilance that can impair our enjoyment.

The ACS T1 forte is also in its speed and handling of the lower bass which is really deep for an IEM, the UE 10pro’s richer upper bass/lower mid range is pivotal to its favour. However, some audiophiles will consider this signature as colouration. Once again, to each its own. In my case, the improvement in almost the entire sonic range plus the perception of speed and control are more than enough to prompt me into the ACS household.

On the side note…

A month ago, I bought an imod and an ALO vcap but later to realise the vcap was way too much a bulk to carry around and decided to leave it permanently in the office with my imod. Yesterday I met Aron at Stereo (off day but in the shop...) and he push 2 cables and a small plastic box to me.... Ultimate link prototype cables and Valgrind sonicaps.

Valgrind Sonicaps (First impression)
No website nor shop (Maybe Jaben or Stereo in the near future)
For those who PM me for contact details :

I must say I’m rather surprise by the Valgrind sonicaps, at $200+, the tight deep bass, thunderous dynamics and snappy transients, sounded almost amazing. The Sonicaps also unravelled subtle harmonic variations with ease; I could hear their distinctive harmonic overtones much more clearly than ever before; in other words, I could better distinguish instruments, tonally, spatially, and harmonically through the imod.

When I decided to write this review, I was planning to save some “face” for vcaps, but the brand new Sonicaps did trash my 400+ hours ALO vcaps! Feel rather stupid paying 3 times the price for the ALO now and returning this poisonous box back to Aron tomorrow, what a mistake to listen to it... If anyone out there needs another reason why you should pay $200+ to carry another bulk out that would be for the soundstage - wide, deep, precisely imaged.

Ultimate Link "Prototype" cable (First impression)

Ultimate Link’s success based on the silver master has lead Aron to continue his research into better cables and I think he might just have hit the jackpot. A brief listen between the new flagship and the former SM-I proves that anything is possible as long as you keep trying, I’m impressed how the brand new cable beat the ALO supper cotton in the bass dept, beat the SM-I in the vocal dept and beat the Qables silvercab pro in the soundstage dept, some cables achieve tonal beauty at the cost of transient detail, but the “prototype” delivered both.

I've always put a high premium on how a cable handles micro dynamic contrasts—the slight variations in loudness or softness when a singer stresses a note, a violinist bows a bit harder or softer, or a drummer hits a cymbal in some different way that's barely perceptible. This isn't merely the sort of detail that audiophiles like to show off; it's the sort of detail that reveals the rhythm and the soul of music—and the presence of a human being blowing, bowing, singing, pounding, or otherwise playing it. That my friend is an ultimate link to me. However, I will continue to burn-in and demagnetised the cable further for a couple of days and see how far this cable can go.

Time for lunch... Kiss
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:41:42 AM by Wilson@Jaben » Logged

Portable: ACS T1 - IQUBE-UL Signature - i-ipod
Portable used: ALO VCAP, Predator, Pico, UE11pro, SE530, UM2, ER4S, ED9,
Headphones: GS1000, RS1, W5000, K701, K1000, ESW10
Home: Wadia 781i - Gryphon Sonata Allegro  - Gryphon Antileon Signature Mono - Wilson Watt puppy
ackt

A.C

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »

Shocked
An ACS T1 user... Anyway good reviews u posted here.
So anyone wants switch to ACS T1? Grin Grin Grin

Portable: Cowon D2|Westone UM2|.22 Ordance Amp.
Others Headphones and IEMs:ATH-ANC3|HD555|HD650
david

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »

Shocked

sigh... fixed cables are a big no-no for me.... especially when you have itchy fingers like mine Grin Grin Grin Grin uncle ridgzin knows what i'm talking about. plus i do enjoy the versatility of detachable cables and the ability to mix and match sound signatures, so perhaps, detachable cables arent such a bad thing after all Tongue Grin Grin Grin
i've always wondered how strong silicon is though, prone to breakage and rub damage?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:44:43 PM by david » Logged

Darkkopi

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »

How much wider is the soundstage to the ue11? comparing to an APS ER4S?

Gba_chia

YNWA

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »

Nice write up Roady!

Tried Kidult's caps and ICs recently...

Still on the fence about the caps though. especially considering the performance vs size. Also since they didn't do anything for me in particular.

But for the ICs, I must say they are realllly good. However they aren't Ultimate Link prototypes... More like... personal prototypes...  Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:32:01 PM by Gba_chia » Logged

Fujitsu U2010
Apple Iphone 3G, 3rd Gen 40G Ipod, Ipod Touch
UE Triple Fi
Westone UM 1
ESW 9 - Custom Cables
FreQ Shows - Red / Clear

Does anyone collect Nike Sneakers???
Roady

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »

I personally own a set of Ety ER-4S with Westone custom but didn't went for the APS cable change, IMO that should be the ER4S in its 90-95% performance, based on that, the ACS's soundstage is wider than the 2 above mentioned. (without UL new cable and sonicaps)

The 11pro benefit more from the sonicaps than the T1 in terms of soundstage since the T1 is already very wide and improve the treble performance on the 11pro.

Home: Wadia 781i - Gryphon Sonata Allegro  - Gryphon Antileon Signature Mono - Wilson Watt puppy
Roady

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »

Shocked

sigh... fixed cables are a big no-no for me.... especially when you have itchy fingers like mine Grin Grin Grin Grin uncle ridgzin knows what i'm talking about. plus i do enjoy the versatility of detachable cables and the ability to mix and match sound signatures, so perhaps, detachable cables arent such a bad thing after all Tongue Grin Grin Grin
i've always wondered how strong silicon is though, prone to breakage and rub damage?

I know.... I'm a rough user like you, broke 2 sets of UM2 with UM56 in a month. The T1 silicon feel very strong though, there's a sample you can feel at stereo.

Gba_chia

YNWA

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »

Kopi... poisoned???  Cheesy

Fujitsu U2010
UE Triple Fi
Westone UM 1
ESW 9 - Custom Cables
FreQ Shows - Red / Clear

Roady

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

Nice write up Roady!

Still on the fence about the caps though. especially considering the performance vs size. Also since they didn't do anything for me in particular.

But for the ICs, I must say they are realllly good. However they aren't Ultimate Link prototypes... More like... personal prototypes...  Cheesy

The IC has Ultimate link logo on it.

Gba_chia

YNWA

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »

Nice write up Roady!

The IC has Ultimate link logo on it.

Oh?? ok.. perhaps not the ones I had in mind...

Now I'm just as blur as the next guy... Any pics per chance?

Fujitsu U2010
UE Triple Fi
Westone UM 1
ESW 9 - Custom Cables
FreQ Shows - Red / Clear

ackt

A.C

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »

The 11pro benefit more from the sonicaps than the T1 in terms of soundstage since the T1 is already very wide and improve the treble performance on the 11pro.

I tested 11Pro on my orchestra music and find that it's true that it has better soundstage than any other customs and never had a chance to try on T1,so i can't judge how does it sound.
But as far as i know,there are a lot of different spec and performance customs in terms of soundstange,bass,treble or noise isolation in the market nowadays so in the end,it depends on yourself to judge which is the best customs to invest in. Wink

Kopi... poisoned???  Cheesy

He is always poisoned by new IEMs or Cans. Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:04:34 PM by ackt » Logged

Portable: Cowon D2|Westone UM2|.22 Ordance Amp.
Others Headphones and IEMs:ATH-ANC3|HD555|HD650
Fernando Lee

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

nice review

I am a human =)

Cheers
Darkkopi

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »

He is always poisoned by new IEMs or Cans. Grin Grin Grin

Kopi... poisoned???  Cheesy

nope Tongue

Darkkopi

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 01:51:43 PM »

I personally own a set of Ety ER-4S with Westone custom but didn't went for the APS cable change, IMO that should be the ER4S in its 90-95% performance, based on that, the ACS's soundstage is wider than the 2 above mentioned. (without UL new cable and sonicaps)

IMO, the APS cable do improve the ER4s by quite a lot, day and night?, as i personally never really like the er4s with stock cable until i got the APS cable. it gives more height to the soundstage, making it wider. Bass response was much better and the highs are not harsh compared to the stock cable.

Maybe we could meet up someday and you could try it with your custom mold since you own them too.

Roady

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »

IMO, the APS cable do improve the ER4s by quite a lot, day and night?, as i personally never really like the er4s with stock cable until i got the APS cable. it gives more height to the soundstage, making it wider. Bass response was much better and the highs are not harsh compared to the stock cable.

Maybe we could meet up someday and you could try it with your custom mold since you own them too.

I don't think I need to try the ER-4S/APS.

I'm a believer of quality cables but every speaker/drivers has its own limitations, saying that I've paid a small fortune on digital coaxial alone just for my Wadia transport recently and I can't say I've gain more than 10% of overall performance so good for you dark kopi.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: