Jaben Community
July 25, 2014, 04:14:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: the 3Ws - What? Why? WOW!  (Read 24849 times)
david

« on: December 01, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »

about 6 months ago today, i joined the ranks of the waiting. today, i went down to lay claim to the stuff of legend, the westone 3.
a past user of the um1s, and then the um2s, i made a leap of faith and put down a deposit for something that i have never heard or auditioned. afterall, the amount deposited was indeed sizeable to me, and in exchange for getting the very first set in the very first shipment, i promised uncle that even though he refused to let me listen to the prototype hanging in the glass showcase, i would not back out and get a refund after listening to the demo unit.
looking back at this promise now, i realise i was very foolish to have been so worried. the w3 has delivered what it's hype had promised, and much much more. on a side note, uncle could have chosen to lessen my suffering, but did he? no.... he chose to MAKE IT ALL THE MORE PAINFUL Cry

taking it out of it's box, i was reminded of the reason why i loved westones so much in the first place, the es2 cable, and the familiar low profile drivers. coming with 10 sets of tips, an additional inline volume control, travel case, 1/4" adapter and wax loop, westone has packaged the w3 with more than just the basic necessities, along with enough tips to last a long, long time. i must say that the w3 sounds different with each of the different tips used, which should be a consideration for all those who are waiting to audition it. each of the tips i used resulted in a different signature, with the triflanges being my favourite.

after playing around with all the tips, here is my verdict on the fit. regardless what tips i used, the w3 sat snugly in my ear, comfortable and oh-so-light. before i knew it, they disappeared into nothingness in the moments that followed after i inserted them into my ears. falling asleep with the w3 on is not a problem, they are so low profile and comfortable.

a definite improvement over the um2s, i feel that westone has really outdone themselves with the w3. the sparkly highs which i had missed so much with the um2s had materialised, the mids, so silky smooth, and the bass tight and deep. a user of the freqs, which emphasized the mid range, i hardly missed the mids with the w3, in fact, imo, the rendering of the mids was much better with the w3, without bleeding into either the bass or the highs. sad to say, this is bad news indeed for my freqs, which were my favourite IEMs, before the w3 entered the picture. they are to be retired to second favourite Grin Grin Grin. an achievement indeed for the w3, especially since the freqs are triple driver customs, and were my favourites. in all fairness, the freqs are a tad more comfortable, they are, afterall, customs.
two thumbs up, and thank you, westone, for making the w3 a dream come true for me, instead of a nightmare Grin
now for more experimenting and enjoying with my newfound love! Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:20:35 PM by david » Logged

uberburger101

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:48 PM »

Sorry for your wallet. Smiley

Another review here.

TEAM WOODY

iPhone 3GS | Atrio
ERC-1 | Ear+ HD | RS-1

"If you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion." - Ivor Tiefenbrun, founder of Linn
ZhenYu

The truth is..... I am Ironman.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »

Sorry for your wallet. Smiley

Another review here.

Error message.

Home:ASUS Xonar DX + Logitech G51 + PX100

Away:Creative ZEN X-Fi(16 GB) | Sony Ericsson W902 -> KSC75 | CrossRoads Woody 1 | LiveWires 'Trips'

"But at what cost?"
Nothing goes wrong until you compare.

Can't be bothered since July 09.

Creative Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
blip

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »

No pictures?! Tongue

Westone Combo #13 $2599

* Westone 3
    * Custom Earmolds
    * Lisa III amp
    * Ampsack
    * Ordnance DAC-1
    * ALO Crystal Cryo Copper

Get this one? Cheesy

on a side note, uncle could have chosen to lessen my suffering, but did he? no.... he chose to MAKE IT ALL THE MORE PAINFUL Cry

On the wallet? I'm sure the outlay has been adequetely compensated Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:40:23 PM by blip » Logged
uberburger101

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

Error message.

Editted. You're too fast.

TEAM WOODY

iPhone 3GS | Atrio
ERC-1 | Ear+ HD | RS-1

"If you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion." - Ivor Tiefenbrun, founder of Linn
ZhenYu

The truth is..... I am Ironman.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

Error message.

Editted. You're too fast.

Muahahaha... ok.. reading now.

Home:ASUS Xonar DX + Logitech G51 + PX100

Away:Creative ZEN X-Fi(16 GB) | Sony Ericsson W902 -> KSC75 | CrossRoads Woody 1 | LiveWires 'Trips'

"But at what cost?"
Nothing goes wrong until you compare.

Can't be bothered since July 09.

Creative Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
david

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »

No pictures?! Tongue

Westone Combo #13 $2599

* Westone 3
    * Custom Earmolds
    * Lisa III amp
    * Ampsack
    * Ordnance DAC-1

Get this one? Cheesy

well, the next upgrade for me would be the um56. sigh... sadly i lack vitamin M.
PLEASE UNCLE PLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEE
i've been good and kept to my promise Grin Grin Grin Grin bundle bundle for me? pweatty pweatty pwease with loads of sugar and diabetes inducing condiments on top? Grin Grin Grin

Wilson@Jaben
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:36 PM »

No pictures?! Tongue

Westone Combo #13 $2599

* Westone 3
    * Custom Earmolds
    * Lisa III amp
    * Ampsack
    * Ordnance DAC-1

Get this one? Cheesy

well, the next upgrade for me would be the um56. sigh... sadly i lack vitamin M.
i've been good and kept to my promise Grin Grin Grin Grin bundle bundle for me? pweatty pweatty pwease with loads of sugar and diabetes inducing condiments on top? Grin Grin Grin

OK... come in with a pink shirt so I can identify you... keep your ears clean...

david

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:10 PM »

No pictures?! Tongue

Westone Combo #13 $2599

* Westone 3
    * Custom Earmolds
    * Lisa III amp
    * Ampsack
    * Ordnance DAC-1

Get this one? Cheesy

OK... come in with a pink shirt so I can identify you... keep your ears clean...

Grin Grin Grin Grin thank you uncle!

blip

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »

Eew, so much sugar, the ants will come.

The bundles don't look too bad though - you're essentially getting all the accessories free with the W3s and the amplifier - and not just the Lisa package..
Paradox

love exists.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:49:40 PM »

Ha you got your W3s! Grats! I can imagine you going Cheesy:D:D:D:D

love exists.
david

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »

Eew, so much sugar, the ants will come.

The bundles don't look too bad though - you're essentially getting all the accessories free with the W3s and the amplifier - and not just the Lisa package..

they sure do Grin

on a side note to those who were either unimpressed or are waiting to try the w3, imo the w3 is one of those IEMs that grows on you, my first try left me rather unimpressed, while subsequent tests left me wanting more. thank goodness i didn't just stop at my first try, i would be very disappointed indeed.

you are very right, my friend. i am in awe.

blip

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »

When's your turn? Smiley
david

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »

When's your turn? Smiley

yea dude, some of the bundles are just insane.... GET THEM AND JOIN ME IN THE DARK SIDE Grin Grin Grin

Paradox

love exists.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:50 PM »

hahaha! and the P-51 is out!! bundle it all together!

love exists.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: