Jaben Community
October 23, 2014, 04:41:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RSA Mustang P-51 Review  (Read 8699 times)
deathg0d

« on: January 03, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »

I am very honored to be the first person to get my hands on the RSA P-51 Mustang this afternoon when uncle wilson miraculously produces an unit infront of me when initially he told me it still 'somewhere' at the customs. i am starting to wonder if uncle wilson has ability like Hiro Nakamura from Heroes.  Grin

So immediately i plugged it into my rig and tried it with UE11. Am i surprised!!!  Shocked it does not have a very good synergy with UE11 as the bass was so powerful that it is unbearable, thus i did not proceed to listen with my UE11 any further. One thing to note was that the soundstage, separations and clarity was very very similar to Larocco PR II MK 2.

However, I am very curious about the reviews at Headfi where it stated that the Mustang is able to drive the lengendary AKG 701 which is known to be a very hard to satisfy headphone, and without any delays, I went ahead with the test.

Once again, i am SURPRISE  Shocked.

At high gain mode, AKG 701 suddenly turned into a beauty to my ears. I believe those who have owned or heard AKG 701 knows it characteristics. it is very analytical and kind off lack of the punch in the bass region. But the Mustang complimented this short coming of the AKG 701 and makes it sound so PERFECT!!!

From 0 hours, the Mustang already have a very good soundstage and HUGE amount of bass. Under the following rig Imod+vcaps oimp/tftf+crystal cable+Mustang+AKG 701, here are my initial impressions

BASS: Excellent and plentiful. However, this can be a cons if the IEM/Headphone are already on the bassy side.

MIDS: Very similar to Larocco PRII MK2 and better, the vocals are very lush and smoothing. The live tracks sounded 'REAL' and the separations of instruments, vocals are so.... incredible. they all seem to have their own place in a huge hall and yet beautifully harmonize together. you can easily identified the claps of the audiences in pace with the beat of the music. you can identified whether the piano is a classical or electric type as a classical piano will have sound that seem to be produce from strings being hit from within a wooden enclosure.

HIGHS: The electric guitars scream at high pitches without breaking yet your ears will not hurt from the sound. i do not know what the instrument name is but they are those tiny tubes of metal that hang in a row that produce tingling sound like a wind chimes, they sound so crystal clear.  Shocked

Finally, i am really very impress by the Mustang. Some may wonder that my impressions could be partially due to the rig i have and mainly the vcaps oimp/tftf, but i have heard this setup countless times that i can i identified the slightest change. So to said, the change of the amp and headphone, sound signature are almost equivalent to my default if not better. i am very picky person when it comes to music and i dare not claimed i have the golden ears but the Mustang coupled with AKG 701 definitely delivered something very spectacular.

At the size from my memory of 4cm x 4cm estimated, the Mustang P-51 sure swept me off my feet with it performance. it have been quite a while that an amp could get me so excited since the last which is PR II.

Uncle wilson, i really hate you because i am in trouble now.....  Cry
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:47:29 PM by deathg0d » Logged
MAT
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »

Wow such a glowing review!

To say you are reviewing with K701 is even more impressive!

Wow it's a miracle in a box!!!

They made radio for the music, now people just make music for the radio...

Home: Marants CD5001 --> ESI nEar 04

Portable: iPhone 32gb > Senn IE8   Sadly a dieted version of my past rigs  Sad
kchew

Ooh, tubes...

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »

Such a tiny amp being able to push the K701... Not even the iQube can do that. Shocked

Looks like Ray has a winner in his hands!

HD800 | AD2000 | K240DF | K240 Sextett MP | K240 Studio | Roxanne
Woo Audio WA22 | O2+ODAC | Travagans White
Cambridge Audio 840C | Wavelength Wavelink HS | AK120
iitoo

AKG SOUNDS BETTER

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »

Such a tiny amp being able to push the K701... Not even the iQube can do that. Shocked

till we tried it,i do not think it can drive it well even if it does drive the k701.heading to jaben too to try with k701 of because...even LD tube amp cannot really drive the monster well enough... Undecided

AKG K240 Monitor | AKG K240 Sextett LP | AKG K501 | AKG K601 | PcWork modded AKG K701 |
Diva goya headamp | Diva mongoose powercord X2 | Diva toccata RCA-RCA |
Diva cd63se CDP | Qi-cones X2 | TAOC SBL-13MT | Herbies Ultrasonic Rx-9 |
Qi-Power distributor |  Millennium Carbon Fiber CD Mat  |
MAT
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »

till we tried it,i do not think it can drive it well even if it does drive the k701.heading to jaben too to try with k701 of because...even LD tube amp cannot really drive the monster well enough... Undecided

Can't wait to hear a second point of view!

They made radio for the music, now people just make music for the radio...

Home: Marants CD5001 --> ESI nEar 04

Portable: iPhone 32gb > Senn IE8   Sadly a dieted version of my past rigs  Sad
iitoo

AKG SOUNDS BETTER

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »

Can't wait to hear a second point of view!
heading on Wednesday though,will get back to you,i find that the voyager,SR71A can drive the monster but then again not to the maximum potential.

AKG K240 Monitor | AKG K240 Sextett LP | AKG K501 | AKG K601 | PcWork modded AKG K701 |
deathg0d

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »

When i headed home, i still could not get over the fact that the Mustang could drive the k701 so well, thus i went to jaben again on today with a friend. we tried the Mustang with DT990 and k701. as the DT990 is a very high impedance headphone, the bass seem to be lacking in power but the rest of the sounds were alright.

And once again we put on k701 and concluded that the Mustang indeed is able to drive it. my friend commented that the bass is very tight and controlled. standing beside my friend when he is listening i could easily hear the sound from k701. i have compared this with PR II and for sure, music from PR II sounded so distance and lacking in power.
iitoo

AKG SOUNDS BETTER

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

When i headed home, i still could not get over the fact that the Mustang could drive the k701 so well, thus i went to jaben again on today with a friend. we tried the Mustang with DT990 and k701. as the DT990 is a very high impedance headphone, the bass seem to be lacking in power but the rest of the sounds were alright.

And once again we put on k701 and concluded that the Mustang indeed is able to drive it. my friend commented that the bass is very tight and controlled. standing beside my friend when he is listening i could easily hear the sound from k701. i have compared this with PR II and for sure, music from PR II sounded so distance and lacking in power.
wow!if really so,it is a great achievement done by ray...portable that is in the top range cannot drive k701 well but now it does...but i will get back here when i head down to try...

mrluna

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »

it drives the AKG 701 decently. period.
comparing it with those home amps...is another story.
comparing it with portable amps, the size/power ratio of the mustang makes it an unbelievable monster.

Source: Ipod 5.5g
Amp: GS Voyager
IC: UL Silver Master
IEM: UE Triple.fi 10 pro + Westone ES2 cables

Used to own: UE sf5pro, Mylar x3i, MylarOne.
aloy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:51:06 AM »

it drives the AKG 701 decently. period.
comparing it with those home amps...is another story.
comparing it with portable amps, the size/power ratio of the mustang makes it an unbelievable monster.

well said.
LionPlushie

♥ YUI

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »

mustang is bassy?

i always thought its on another level from the blackbird.

TEAM BASSHEAD MEMBER #3

badbad2000

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:40:24 AM »

mustang is bassy?

also depends on what cable you feed it. I used QED before, weight towards high side. after I go back to the shop change to chord (ichord), all the low and lower mid comes back alive.
deathg0d

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »

mustang is bassy?

also depends on what cable you feed it. I used QED before, weight towards high side. after I go back to the shop change to chord (ichord), all the low and lower mid comes back alive.

i am using crystal cables so i do not really put that into the factor that make Mustang bassy. actually all rsa amps are very powerful in the bass.

agreed mrluna, we cannot compare Mustang those home amp. but Mustang sure drive k701 decently. in fact i personally feel that even some home amp does not even able to do it properly.
Wilson@Jaben
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »

Here's what an owner of the P-51 said -

... The Mustang is a pure thoroughbred, quite impressive, very impressive for its size. 

It takes control of even a pair of HD650s with a certain ease.  It gets the bass just right, without compromising the midtones.  The trebles sound fine too.  I can see why people like it.  It would classify it as slightly dark, rather than bright, without being veiled in any sense. 

Ray has departed from the SR-71 sound, creating a new signature, which I very much like for its neutrality while being very slightly forward, in a very controlled and balanced manner...

Do drop by and audition them...
mrluna

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »

Woahh uncle wilson speaks! rare moment  Smiley

Source: Ipod 5.5g
Amp: GS Voyager
IC: UL Silver Master
IEM: UE Triple.fi 10 pro + Westone ES2 cables

Used to own: UE sf5pro, Mylar x3i, MylarOne.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: