Jaben Community
October 26, 2014, 12:56:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bass or Guitar? Any advice or suggestion?  (Read 2353 times)
Ascudgamln

« on: February 07, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »

I have been thinking about learning an instrument. Its between Guitar or Bass. More towards bass though, however need some directions on how to start. (borrowed a friend's bass, however no amp or to monitor cable)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.
ken20008

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »

buy a cheap bass for about 300 bucks. those not famous brands ones. penin has a lot.

another decent bass amp will set you back about a 100.

a cable can be acquired for about 10 bucks.

so depending on your budget, you can start right away if the right amount of cash.

Home rig: Asus A42Jr + Philips IEMs

Dream portable rig: Cowon S9 + Westone 4
Dream home rig: Asus G53-SW w/ Audioengine A5s
hdrcorp

Zen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »

A good question to ask yourself would be, do you like to be in the background or foreground?

PC -> Creative T20 -> ES7/HD555
iPod Touch 2G -> ES7/UE10P
kangcore

needs more cowbell

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »

as a guitarist who also regularly plays bass, my suggestion is that you pick up the guitar first.

i certainly don't subscribe to the thought that the 6-string guitar is the same instrument as the bass - whilst both utilise the same principles of acoustics and are played similarly, both instruments require very unique and different musical approaches.

however, i do realise that most bassists end up learning a bit of guitar, and vice versa, because its just so easy to cross over to each instrument. however i do find that the players who are able to convincingly play both instruments tend to be guitarists - but that said, there are quite a few guitarists who play ruddy awful bass. i am told that i fall into the latter category of guitarists who play bass like... a guitarist... heh.

but if you want the best of both worlds, then pick up the guitar and then study the bass after.

however if the bass holds a unique appeal to you (and not just because it has 2 strings less than the guiter, believe me that doesn't make it any easier!!), then i do encourage you to delve deeply into this wonderful instrument. sooner or later along the way you'll probably pick up a bit of guitar as well, so not all hope is lost! but as i mentioned, it seems easier for guitarist to cross over to be bassists, but not necessarily the other way round.

ultimately though, as it is with your choice of head-fi, so it is with your musical interests... its entirely up to what you prefer and like!

Eargear: Aurisonics ASG-1 / Atrios+Custom tips / Beyer DT1350 / V-Jays / Final Audio PF-II | My New Music & Demo Songs
Disclosure: I help out with Red Dot Music - dealer for Aurisonics IEMs in Singapore!
optisailor2002

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »

yup, ultimately it depends on you. bass is more like at the "background" the band while guitarists tend to be at the front.

i started off playing guitar now I'm pretty interested in starting to play bass as well. best is have a sibling to play another instrument so you two can swap instruments and try out both instruments when you feel like it.

Heavy Metal Tribune
| Blogger | Tumblr
Ascudgamln

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »

thanks for the suggestion. Bought a Bass amp from the  lee branch at aljunied. Now to start learning.
Any idea if there a good site for bass learning?
Itachi46

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »

i have played both and i must say it feels more satisfying playing a guitar since its more... "colourful" so to speak... and theres a lot more songs u can play to (unless you are a genius and compose straight away Tongue)
ken20008

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

i have played both and i must say it feels more satisfying playing a guitar since its more... "colourful" so to speak... and theres a lot more songs u can play to (unless you are a genius and compose straight away Tongue)
i compose lots lol.

Itachi46

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

lol then go with guitar i say... just.. think about it how many composers u see use a bass and how many composer uses a guitar/piano to compose Tongue
ken20008

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »

lol then go with guitar i say... just.. think about it how many composers u see use a bass and how many composer uses a guitar/piano to compose Tongue
It seems that everyone, at least in sg, likes guitar more. thus finding a bassist is difficult. not to mention those that can actually play and compose.

crazyguy106

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Well... As a person who loves the bass way more than guitar... And play mainly jazz, I concur that more people like the guitar more. Some people then fall in love with the bass afterwards. But the approach to both are very different in my opinion...

The question, I think, boils down to what you actually want to do in music. You want to hold the fort, or be the leading guy? Or if you're good enough you can become both. But it takes a lot of hard work and practice.

NoisePod -> Crystal -> Zenith -> Crystal -> Predator -> Crystal -> JH13
Computer -> hifidiy pcm 1794 -> Heed Canamp
Noise Pod Review - http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=10322.0
Quattro Review - http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=10453.0
Musicphile
ken20008

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »

Well... As a person who loves the bass way more than guitar... And play mainly jazz, I concur that more people like the guitar more. Some people then fall in love with the bass afterwards. But the approach to both are very different in my opinion...

The question, I think, boils down to what you actually want to do in music. You want to hold the fort, or be the leading guy? Or if you're good enough you can become both. But it takes a lot of hard work and practice.
actually, for some, its a measure of which plays better. I like guitar better because my fingers are suited to guitar, not the thick and heavy strings of the bass. But i do wish to get good at bass someday.

JoshuaTan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:33 AM »

as a guitarist who also regularly plays bass, my suggestion is that you pick up the guitar first.

i certainly don't subscribe to the thought that the 6-string guitar is the same instrument as the bass - whilst both utilise the same principles of acoustics and are played similarly, both instruments require very unique and different musical approaches.

however, i do realise that most bassists end up learning a bit of guitar, and vice versa, because its just so easy to cross over to each instrument. however i do find that the players who are able to convincingly play both instruments tend to be guitarists - but that said, there are quite a few guitarists who play ruddy awful bass. i am told that i fall into the latter category of guitarists who play bass like... a guitarist... heh.

but if you want the best of both worlds, then pick up the guitar and then study the bass after.

however if the bass holds a unique appeal to you (and not just because it has 2 strings less than the guiter, believe me that doesn't make it any easier!!), then i do encourage you to delve deeply into this wonderful instrument. sooner or later along the way you'll probably pick up a bit of guitar as well, so not all hope is lost! but as i mentioned, it seems easier for guitarist to cross over to be bassists, but not necessarily the other way round.

ultimately though, as it is with your choice of head-fi, so it is with your musical interests... its entirely up to what you prefer and like!
x2

What do you when you fall down? you get up, what if you can't get up? Try again, even if it takes a thousand times.
Because when you give up, you will never get up.

Never compromise quality for money
CrispyEgg

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »

+1 for GUITAR FIRST.

P.S. i'm a bassist =D I picked up guitar first and i don't regret it at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: